Sunday, February 17, 2013

An experiment in social networking and mathematics

Family and Friends,

In order to get a meager start on Norah's college fund, I'm asking you for your collective help with a small social experiment.  (It's actually more of an exercise, but that's another conversation altogether.)  For a number of years now I've been a member of the Amazon Associates program that provides me a small commission for purchases that originate from my website or a specialized link.  It's really only been my immediate family and a handful of others that I've asked to use the link, but now I'm trying to spread the word more actively.  Here's how you can help:
  1. Clear your cache (and cookies), if you're willing in order to reset your most recent Amazon "session":
    • Chrome: menu/Tools/Clear browsing data/Empty the cache & Delete cookies
    • Firefox: Firefox menu/History/Clear Recent History/Details/Cache & Cookies
    • Internet Explorer: Tools/Delete Browsing History/Temporary Internet Files & Cookies
    • Safari for Mac: Safari menu/Empty Cache
    • Safari for Windows: gear icon/Reset Safari/Remove all website data
    • Note: Screenshots and more specific directions are available at http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache.
  2. Create/change your Amazon bookmark using the URL http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/kiokcom-20.
  3. Use the link for all of your browsing and purchases from Amazon.
  4. Spread the link to your family, friends, and social networks and ask them to do the same.
It's free, and it's easy; it costs you nothing but the time required to set up the bookmark.  For those of you concerned with privacy and tracking, please note that I am unable to trace any individual purchase to anyone.  I am able to generate reports that state what items have been purchased originating from the link, but it tells me only what and when, not who.

By leveraging the power of Facebook, Google+, and Twitter, etc. along with the generosity of Amazon and the mathematics of compounded interest, I hope to be able to raise enough money to buy a book or two in the future for Norah.  If any of you are interested in the results of this grand exercise, I'll send out a quarterly report to any of our family and friends who requests.

Thanks in advance for your help.



Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment